Would you rather do ten sit-ups or laugh until you spew root beer (diet, of course) from your nose??? Okay, that’s what I thought. Who of us would not rather have a good laugh than exercise? I know I would! Did you know that a good hearty laugh can take the place of those painful sit-ups? It’s true! The same muscles that get worked during sit-ups are also worked during a really good laugh.
Laughter is the best medicine for so many reasons. Endorphins are instantly released and boost mood better than any anti-depressant on the market! When you laugh, your blood pressure lowers because you relax inside. A person who does not take life, or themselves, too seriously is a healthier person and a person that others enjoy being around. That sounds like a real win/win to me!
Lucinda Berry Hill wrote a great poem for this day:
Love is an inside job. Take a moment to laugh today. If there is someone in your life who has influenced your good humor, give them a call and let them know you appreciate it. Enjoy that person while you can – because all too soon the people who mean the most to us are suddenly not there anymore.
You grow up the day you have your first real laugh—-at yourself. – Ethel Barrymore
- Be careful if you plan to pull a practical joke on someone – sometimes those things can backfire.
- Visit your local greeting card store and look at some of the funny cards.
- Share a funny story with a friend. Why laugh alone?
- Watch your favorite funny movie – or read other posts on my blog.
- Do you have a friend that makes you laugh when you hear them laugh? Yeah – that’s the friend to get ahold of today.
- Get naked and laugh at yourself in a full-length mirror. This one doesn’t work for some of you – I get it.
- Show your baby pictures to someone who has never seen them.
- Go to a joke shop and buy a laugh box. Put it in a co-worker’s cubicle, turn it on and run.
- Make faces at the clerk in the grocery store until they laugh. Then say, “Mission accomplished.”
You don’t really have to think up a reason to laugh, but you should have a rational explanation for when someone asks why you are laughing uncontrollably in public. Some folks just need to be assured that you haven’t gone a little crazy.
Sometimes the laugh that wells up inside you should not be stifled. Sometimes it just needs to bubble to the surface and escape! 🙂