On NATIONAL ANTHEM DAY I’m asking:
Who is your favorite singer to sing our National Anthem? I’ve heard so many great singers through the years, but the one that touched my heart most of all is this sweet girl (better grab the Kleenex box).
Detox Lentil-Lime Soup
•6 cups (1.5 L) broth (chicken or vegetable)
•1 bay leaf
•3 cups (750 mL) dried organic red lentils
•3 Tablespoons (45 mL) water
•2 cups (500 mL) onions, chopped
•3 garlic cloves, minced
•3 Tablespoons (45 mL) whole cumin seed
•1 Tablespoons (15 mL) turmeric
•2 cups (500 mL) kale, finely chopped
•1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
•1 cup (250 mL) fresh lime juice
•Sea salt to taste
1. Rinse dry red lentils in cold water, over and over until water runs clear. In a large pot, combine broth, bay leaf and lentils. Bring to boil.
2. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
3. In skillet over medium heat add onion, garlic and sea salt with bit of water and sauté until translucent (about 10 minutes).
4. Break the shell of the whole cumin seeds by lightly grinding them in a mortar and pestle. The seeds should still be visible when you are done.
5. Add turmeric and ground cumin seed into the onion mixture and sauté for 5 more minutes.
6. Mix sautéed onion spice mixture and chopped kale into the cooked lentils. Simmer for 15 minutes over a medium heat to blend flavors.
7. Turn off heat. Add lime juice and olive oil at the last-minute to preserve the taste and nutrients.
8. When reheating, gently warm over a low heat.
Makes 10 cups.
This is great for overall health, but also gets your voice ready to hit that high note in the National Anthem! 😉