There’s no better sight at a party or other get together than a snack tray with tons of low-carb goodies! Since today is Salami Day, I’m going to focus on this delicious cold cut favorite. Sometimes it’s difficult to come up with original ideas for salami. Back when I ate more carbs, I used to make a nice roll-up snack with cream cheese and salami that was very popular. I wondered what would happen if I made it but used the salami in place of the tortilla. Well… it wasn’t bad – not bad at all.
SALAMI AND CREAM CHEESE ROLL-UPS
Makes 15 servings
15 salami slices
1.25 oz. cream cheese
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 banana pepper, sliced
Stuff each salami slice with equal amounts of the other ingredients. Hold it closed with a toothpick.
This is a great way to have a snack ready to eat when you get a case of the munchies but don’t want to reach for chips or crackers. It only takes about ten minutes to fix these up, so there are no excuses.
Here are some different types of salami available:
- Soppressata: Usually made with pork, soppressata has a higher fat content and a more rustic appearance than most salami. It’s pressed with a heavy weight while curing and cured until it loses 30% of its weight, intensifying its flavor.
- Cotto: Salami that has been partially cook or smoked before or after curing.
- Genoa: Made with pork and veal, it’s seasoned with garlic, red wine and pepper.
- Nduja: An addictive spreadable salami made of pork meat, pork fat and spicy red peppers.
- Peppered: It’s HOT because it’s been rolled in cracked peppercorns or dried herbs.
- Pepperoni: Finely ground, lightly smoked and spicy. This is an Italian-American invention and most of us have enjoyed it on a pizza at one time or the other.
There are football games in some of our futures, and other family times… this is just one of many ideas of how to stay on track while making it look like you are splurging. Cold cuts, cheese, olives… it’s all good.
When we lose twenty pounds… we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. – Woody Allen
I sure hope Woody Allen is not right about that! I hope and pray that my genius, humanity, love and honesty are still intact. To date I have lost 20 pounds – and I’m thrilled!
There are so many great recipes online – and my friends on facebook – especially the people in my group, A SECOND HELPING OF WELLNESS… WITH A DASH OF HUMOR & A PINCH OF FAITH are so supportive and have helped me along so much!
You know, they say it takes a village to raise a child… but let me tell ya… it takes a village to keep a dieter from giving in to temptation and eating all the wrong things – it really does! There are days I want to eat Texas toast or the rolls at Logan’s or one of those little 4-packs of Hawaiian rolls… with some dill dip! I’m just being honest. One of my co-workers got me hooked on the Hawaiian rolls and dill dip – don’t knock it till you’ve tried it… oh – but don’t even get started on it because it’s bad. It’s very very bad! Forget I mentioned it. 😉