We need to realize that, above everything, we Christians have the greatest reason to be joyful. – Dr. Karl R. Kraft
Yee-Haw! April is Holy Humor Month!!! In case you think that Christians get baptized in lemon juice and are instantly left with no sense of humor… I’m here to say yeah, we know how to laugh. We’re more picky about what we think is funny, but we definitely know how to laugh!
These are from Lucinda Berry Hill:
Neal’s Story (May 7, 1979)
One night when I was putting my little brother to bed, I stood by and quietly listened while he was saying his bedtime prayers. He said the regular prayer of “Now I lay me down to sleep…God bless Mommy and Daddy…” Then he added, “Thank you for this day Jesus, and thank you for the mirror.”
Probably my most favorite joke is:
“Well,” his mother said, “they bury people in the ground but their spirit goes up to Heaven.”
Reaching in a pan for a brownie, my hand came back empty. Since there was only two of us in the house I complained to my 4 year old, ” Charlotte, you ate the last brownie!” And she exclaimed, “But mommy they’re too much good!” And so a poem was born and it became Week 18 of devotional “Coffee with Jesus.”
Did you know there were rules on Noah’s Ark??? Neither did I – let’s take a look:
INSTRUCTIONS ON THE ARK
– Alligators….stop nibbling on fellow passengers.
– Flies….quit pestering the horses.
– Elephants…..shovel up your own mess, it blocks the hallways.
– Pigeons….the lions are not statues.
– Mosquitoes and bats….quit biting the other passengers.
– Myna birds….stop repeating everything you hear.
– Cows….fly swatting is prohibited.
– Lightning bugs….remember lights out at 9 PM.
– Pigs…..clean up your room.
– Raccoons….stop your midnight raids.
– Hyenas….stop laughing at the other passengers.
– Lions….quit stalking everyone.
– Vultures….stop hovering.
– Bugs….stay out of the pantry.
– Snakes….pick up your own skins and throw them away.
– Ants….bring your own picnic lunch next time.
– Hoofed animals….please tiptoe after midnight.
– Camels….no spitting at the other passengers.
– Squirrels….quit hiding nuts in the bathtub drains.
– Night Owls….keep your hooting down, it keeps the Morning Doves awake.
– Turtles….your dinners are getting cold, start for the dining hall earlier.
– All passengers…. be careful what you say around the parrots if you don’t want it repeated.
And what of Rex??? Did he miss the boat? Awe… no room!
Let me guess… the snails were the last ones to board – well, technically, Noah was, but…
True story. My husband was on patrol one day and clocked a speeder. He stopped the young man and asked if he knew how fast he was going. The quick-thinking gentleman said, “Officer, you’re not going to believe this, but I hit a skunk a few miles back and I’m trying to outrun the smell.” He got off with a warning and my husband had a great story that he told time and again. I don’t recommend using this story – it doesn’t always work. LOL!
If you must speed on the highway, sing these hymns loudly:
5 mph over the limit: “God Will Take Care of Me”
10 mph over: “Guide me, O Great Jehovah”
15 mph over: “Nearer My God to Thee”
20 mph over: “Nearer Still Nearer”
25 mph over: “This World is Not My Home”
30 mph over: “Lord, I’m Coming Home”
35 mph over: “Precious Memories”
I’m not Catholic, but as I was looking through posts on Pinterest, I spotted some outright funny stuff that even a Protestant can understand…This is my favorite – we should ALL be the one who makes others feel special… sweet!
OH… surely not. Is there an initiation ceremony???
The longer I live, the more convinced I am that making a joyful noise unto the LORD is less about singing and more about laughter! I believe God inhabits the praises of His people, but He inclines His ear to our laughter and laughs with us! Have a wonderful joy-filled day! 🙂