Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go. – William Harris
Today is SPUNKY OLD BROADS DAY!!! Some of the sassy, spunky broads I’ll feature here are not necessarily OLD. I’ll leave it to your discretion which ones are and which ones are not. This is one of those posts that could go on and on with many examples, but I have to put a limit on it. I will name my top ten picks.
1. I feel blessed to have been around some of the sunniest gals with spunk ever – through the medium of television and radio. Here from the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville is cousin Minnie Pearl.
2. While we’re on the subject of country spunk, check out this video from Dolly in the movie 9-5. I think I read her lips when she was telling her boss she’d change him from a rooster to a hen… whew!
3. How about our favorite redhead – Reba McEntire? Natural red-head have built-in spunk. It’s just part of the territory. She shares some of her spunk with us on her TV show – Reba. I think she has some attitude in this song too.
4. Even our greeting cards got a kick in the attitude when Maxine came along!
5. How could I even consider making this list without the remarkable and spunky Vivien Leigh?
Can’t you just hear her saying FIDDLE-DEE-DEE???
Spunk is that quality that sets older women apart from the rest. I meet my friend at the beauty shop every Friday, and let me tell you… that shop is full of women with SPUNK – and they are all over 60 years of age! I listen to them talk every week and I walk away thinking, “I want to be just like them when I get older.” Yep – watch out world – you’ve been warned.
God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow in them. – Author Unknown
6. Did you know that Katharine Hepburn was a natural redhead??? Does it surprise you? Talk about some major spunk, she had it! Remember when women would not entertain the notion of wearing slacks? This is the gal who changed all that, and her 5’7″ frame wore slacks very nicely. She was tough and bold even as she got much older. When she developed the shaking of her head, she was quick to set the record straight when she proclaimed that it was not Parkinson’s, rather it was inherited from her grandfather. She was known as “The First Lady of Cinema” for movies which are now considered classics.
7. Today we know Betty White as a legend, but I thought it would be fun to show a video from 1945 when she was just starting out. Even in this video her spunk is showing. I like that she is now a spunky lady, but I wish she’d throw some of that off-color language to the curb. She would be funnier without it.
8. There are so many great quotes from Eleanor Roosevelt, and I believe I’ve used every one of them at some point or the other.
She overcame loss and it made her more determined to be a strong woman with character, intelligence and spunk. I was surprised to learn she had lost both her parents by the age of ten. She really must have had to dig deep into her faith pocket to keep going. It’s a woman just like this who needed to be beside FDR when the country was going through the stock market crash on October 29, 1929. Known as Black Tuesday, it was the worst economic collapse in the history of the modern industrial world. Close your eyes and image him talking with her about this situation – and about The New Deal. She had to be strong – and a very good listener, I suspect. Spunky women don’t always talk – sometimes they know when it’s time to be quiet and listen.
9. Della Reese showed her spunk in the hit show on CBS called “Touched by an Angel”. Here she is explaining the premise behind the show.
As I previously mentioned, spunky women do not have to be loud and irritating to show their spunk. Della is a great example of this as an angel “supervisor” – which brings me to…
10. Roma Downey, the “angel girl” whose gift from God was not music or art. Her gift from God was truth. She spoke truth with kindness, but also with her own brand of spunk. You GO, angel girl. Here are Della and Roma in real life. This is so powerful, I had to share it.
You can’t go wrong asking God for His brand of spunk. I will continue to do that as I get older. 🙂