It’s BLUE MONDAY! Now, how blue you allow yourself to be is completely up to you. Choose your shade and rock your mood. Why do we celebrate this day? Well, there is no real scientific basis for it, however, it’s thought that a few factors lend themselves to a “let-down” blue mood:
1. The Polar Vortex is bringing freezing cold temperatures to us. Most of us don’t adapt to the cold as easily as we do to warm temperatures.
2. We’ve been on a holiday high, celebrating Christmas with sugary foods we normally wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole. Now most of us are saying we’re going to lose a ton of weight overnight – am I right? That in itself is depressing.
3. Speaking of those New Year’s Resolutions… by now most of us have messed up and given up. So, failure can obviously make us depressed.
4. The bills are rolling in from all that Christmas fun! I am taking all of my past-due bills and making them into Origami Cranes. I may as well be creative while I’m waiting for money to fall in my lap, right?
5. Most of us are heading back to work – back to the mundane routine of the 9-5 work week. Well, we have to work to make money to pay for the Christmas fun – right?
Well – that was depressing! Now, let’s look at this with an eye of rationality, shall we?
1. God will see us through just like He always has. We don’t have to be in a deep depression, so we can choose a lighter shade of blue today. Remember that the Lord loves you and will take good care of you.
2. It’s going to be okay. If the weather is bringing you down, be thankful to God for your furnace and the warmth of a fireplace if you have one.
3. If you made some resolutions for the new year and have been less than perfect – so what? Is that a reason to give up? Wow, I sure hope not! Keep trying because that’s all anyone expects of you – don’t beat yourself up about that stuff. Most resolutions are tough – or you wouldn’t have to make it every year (am I right?) I make the same ones every year – because it’s where my weakness lies. Remember – when we are weak – God is strong! He is strong through our weakness. Hang in there. God will help you succeed – imperfectly.
4. If you have a means to make money – a.k.a. – a job, be thankful. If you have bills due and money coming in, it means you have friends and family you love and you’ve given them a token of that love. You’ll get caught up financially because God will help you. Ask Him and He will show you the way.
Yes, you have to go back to work today – and some jobs are worse than others. Just be thankful you don’t have this job:
You have a choice – it’s okay to be blue, but I hope you will choose a light blue instead of a deep dark blue. If you suffer from horrible dark blue mood today, maybe you should find a job you like – do what you love because life is just too short… it is. 🙂