God can use anything to inspire a blog post! Yesterday I was reading through my news feed on facebook and noticed a post about how in days gone by, people who are left-handed were thought to be evil. I honestly did not know that. I knew that life for a southpaw was more difficult because let’s face it – it is a right-handed person’s world. Daddy used to tell me that it took him twice as long to learn how to use scissors – because when he was a kid there was no such thing as scissors for left-handed people. I remember thinking that was very mean and cruel. Daddy also told me that in school they tried to get him to do things with his right hand. He just refused to conform. Yep – that’s my dad! Left-handed and darned proud of it!
Evil, huh? Wow. That seems extreme to me. How could anyone think someone was evil just because they favor their left hand? That’s crazy.
Here are the real facts:
- 10% of people are left-handed according to a report by Scientific American.
- Geniuses are more likely to be left-handed – 20% of the top scoring SAT takers are left-handed.
- 31% of Major League Baseball pitchers are left-handed.
- Of the last 5 Presidents, 3 were lefties – Obama, Clinton and Bush Sr.
- All lefties: Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Barak Obama, Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, Leonardo da Vinci
I’m proud to say that my dad was a lefty and even though he did not go beyond the Eighth Grade in school, he pursued so many avenues in life! He went to school and earned a license to sell real estate. He took courses at night to learn specialized carpentry skills and made a very good living as a finish carpenter. In that way he combined his art with cabinetry. He made a living doing what he enjoyed most. He loved art and wood was his medium.
I love you and miss you like crazy daddy! ❤